Indiana is a fault state. If someone else rammed into your vehicle in Fort Wayne, which resulted in injuries and losses, you have the right to ask for a settlement. The process is backed by law but can be time-consuming and complex, which is why hiring a car accident lawyer Fort Wayne is critical. Before you seek legal help, here are quick things to know.
- You don’t need money right away: Many accident victims don’t want to seek a settlement or hire an attorney because they are under financial stress and don’t wish to prolong the suffering. Fortunately, most law firms in the city will not ask for anything until you recover money. If you don’t have the funds to hire a legal expert, it is still possible to get advice and fight the battle.
- Your lawyer expects you to be honest: If you were also speeding or were partly distracted when the mishap unfolded on the roads of Fort Wayne, that can impact your settlement drastically. The best way to move forward is to tell your lawyer everything. Keep things private between you and the attorney’s team, and they will find out the ideal strategy for given circumstances.
- Your lawyer will take care of everything: From the initial claims process and filing insurance paperwork to keeping up with deadlines, your attorney will be accountable for every step along the way. You don’t have to take the stress of how to start negotiating with the insurance adjuster.
- Your lawyer may help you financially: Although this isn’t entirely true for all attorneys, many law firms offer support for clients until they get paid. The lawyer can provide assistance if there are expected expenses related to case investigation or court-related tasks.
- Your lawyer will explain the dos and don’ts: It is entirely okay to feel disoriented and scared after an accident but don’t let the trauma impact your ability to make decisions. Your lawyer will share the steps you must follow and the mistakes you must avoid, such as posting details on social media.
- You should look for experience: Car accident claims are primarily unique and different, and it makes sense to find a law firm that typically deals with such cases. Talk to the attorney, check their ratings online, and review their work so far before you hire them.
Get an attorney soon after the accident to gather evidence and find more info for your claim.