Alaska Airlines has one of the most straightforward luggage policies we’ve ever encountered.
Depending on the route and cabin, two or three standard bags are either included or only $30 for your first bag, with subsequent bags costing less than the average for airlines we’ve evaluated. Thank you, Alaska!
Alaska Airlines Carry-on Allowance
1 free personal item
1 normal carry-on bag is included.
Personal: The size is unknown, but Alaska mentions goods such as a purse, briefcase, or laptop bag.
Standard dimensions are 22 x 14 x 9 inches (55.88 x 35.56 x 22.86 cm) with handles and wheels.
There is no weight limit for carry-on luggage on Alaska Airlines, but you must be able to hoist the bag into the overhead compartment without assistance.
Policy on Infant Carry-on
Because lap infants do not have their own carry-on allowance, a diaper bag would count towards the adult passenger’s usual carry-on restriction.
Stroller Gate Check Policy
As checked luggage, a child’s car seat and/or pram are free of charge. These things can be checked in with the rest of your luggage or at the gate.
Visit to know Alaska Airlines Baggage Fee:
The first bag costs $30.
Second Bag: $40
Third Bag: $100 First Class
The first bag is free
The second bag is free
The third bag is $100 in Alaska.
Within the state of Alaska
The first bag is free.
The second bag is free.
The third bag is free.
The fourth and subsequent bags are $100 apiece.
Extra/Excess Baggage Charges
Each additional piece of luggage (3+ bags) costs $100.
Overweight Charge: $100 per bag 51-100 pounds (23-45 kg).
Oversized Fee: $100 for baggage measuring 63-115 inches (158-292 cm).
* The cost is assessed only once if a bag is both overweight and large.
Please refer to Alaska’s policy for baggage fees linked to specific luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.).
Seasonal restrictions apply. For additional information, see the Alaska Airlines official website.
Can I pay for my luggage in advance?
Beginning 24 hours before the flight’s departure, Alaska Airlines allows passengers to pre-pay for bags online or through its mobile app.
Waivers and Exclusions
- The Alaska Airlines Visa Signature credit card entitles the cardholder and up to six people travelling on the same reservation to one free checked bag.
- Club 49 members who travel to at least one Alaska Airlines city in Alaska receive two free checked bags.
- MVP, MVP Gold, one world Ruby, and One world Sapphire members receive two free checked bags.
- MVP Gold 75K, MVP Gold 100K, and One world Emerald members receive three free checked bags.
- Active-duty U.S. military personnel and their dependents (on travel orders) receive five free checked bags (bags may weigh up to 70 pounds and measure up to 115 linear inches without incurring overweight or oversize fees).
Credit Cards that provide you with a free checked bag when flying with Alaska Airlines
If you fly first class or within Alaska, Alaska Airlines may waive checked luggage fees, but what if you fly economy outside of Alaska?
The solution is straightforward: obtain one of Bank of America’s co-branded credit cards. You and up to six passengers can enjoy one free checked bag if you have the Alaska Signature card or the Alaska Airlines Visa Business Credit Card. The Alaska Airlines World Elite Mastercard situated in Canada, provides the same benefit.